Hi there! It's Mrs. Odum and I love to talk to you about reading. I love to read and hope that you do too.
I have created this section of my web page so we can do some things together even if we aren't together! Check back from time to time because I am going to post new things as I think of them or find them. I will check my email every day to see if any of you have sent pics of you doing our weekly challenge or if you want to tell me that you have visited this page and what you are doing during our time off. I look forward to see you again. Stay well and take care of youselves. Try to find something to be happy about each and every day!
My email address: email@example.com
OK Kids--here is my first section. In this section I will post links to You Tube videos of authors reading their own stories. Sometimes it is fun to hear the author read what they have written. I especially like the first link--it is Robert Munsch reading his book, Mortimer. Have fun listening to these authors. I will post more as I find them.
I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic Chapters 9&10
Storytime with Ryan & Craig (This book is Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude but if you look below this video, you will see all the other books they read. They are funny!)
Mo Willems & I Really Like Slop Mo Willems is the author of Elephant & Piggie books. I Really Like Slop is one of them. I hope you enjoy this--it is funny!
Section 4: Links to some fun things to do and read.
1. BTSB (Bound to Stay Bound) is the name of the company where I purchase a lot of our library books. They have set up these educational resources for your use. Click around on the various tabs and find something that you like. Some are authors reading their books, some are authors suggesting activities for you to do and some are publishing companies (the company that actually puts the book together for the author) that are going to let you read ebooks for free. Have fun exploring these offerings. BTSB resources
2. Marion Carnegie Library. The Marion Carnegie Library may be closed :( just like our school, but if you have a library card from them you can still read ebooks. Just go to their website: Marion City Library You will need to have your library card number and a computer or ereader (tablet, Kindle, etc). Have fun finding that "just perfect" book to read!
3. Thank you Tabitha Smith for posting the video of the hippos on the Washington PTO facebook page. I love zoos and watching the animals. Here is the link to the youtube videos from the Cincinnati Zoo so we can all see all the different animals they spotlight. I've watched two so far and plan to watch more in the coming days. When my boys were little, we watched a weekly PBS show filmed at the Cincinnati Zoo and it's theme song has stuck with me all this years: "Let's go to the zoo, zoo, zoo; Let's go to the zoo, zoo, zoo. There's so much to see and do when you go to the zoo!". Enjoy the animals: Cincinnati Zoo
4. HARRY POTTER FANS: Here is something just for you. Check out these links: Intro Harry Potter at Home Harry Potter at Home You will be able to access some things without logging in but some may require a login. Have your parents check it out with you and tell you what you can and cannot do. Have fun!
5. REMOTE LEARNING ACTIVITIES--LIBRARY: Library Remote Learning Activities
6. ONE BOOK, ONE DISTRICT. Here is something new for you. All the school libraries in Marion Unit #2 are going to read the same book, Wild Robot by Peter Brown. This is not something you have to do but it might be fun to log in and hear various librarians each read sections of this book plus you will find some fun activities to do along with the book. Go to Google Classrooms and click the + sign to find the new class. It is entitled "Elementary Libraries". Then put in this class code: hi2hdoc This should take you to the site to hear the book and see any activities that have been posted. If you have any questions or problems, please email me and I will try to help you.
7. Here is something I just found that looks fun: DK Publishers (the company that does Eyewitness Books and other non-fiction books) has offered this free resource: DK Free Resources It offers something from Pre-K to Age 12. I think you might find some fun rainy-day activities there.
I know you all like a good joke and/or riddle and while I was in my book closet trying to find a book to read for FlipGrid, I found a book of jokes, Garfield's Big Fat Hairy Joke Book. So every few days (as often as I can) I will post one or two jokes/riddles for you. If it is a riddle I will post the answer at the bottom of this section in very tiny print so you can have a chance to guess the answer before you read it!
1. Why did Garfield take a bath after stealing Odie's dinner?
Joke: What's the difference between a barking dog and an umbrella? You can shut the umbrella up!
2. What is Garfield's favorite kind of car?
Joke: Garfield always watches what he eats. Otherwise some crumbs might get away!
3. What would you get if you crossed two fish with two elephants?
Joke: What did the ocean say to the little girl? Nothing. It only waved.
4. Why is it so breezy in a football stadium?
Joke: "It certainly was hot on the farm last week." "How hot was it?" "It was so hot, the chickens were laying hard-boiled eggs!"
5. Which of the Great Lakes is the spookiest?
Joke: Teacher--"Why do hummingbirds hum?" Student--"Because they forgot the words."
6. Why did the man run around his bed?
Joke: "Doctor, my brother thinks he's a dog!" "That's a real problem" "I know. Our apartment doesn't allow pets."
1. He wanted to make a clean getaway!
2. A Cat-illac
3. A pair of swimming trunks!
4. Because it is full of fans!
5. Lake Eerie
6. He was trying to catch up on his sleep.