Community Unit #2 School District was formed during the summer of 1951 and functioned as a unit district for the first time during the 1951-52 school year. The original area of the district was fifty-three square miles and was composed of the original Marion Township High School District and all or apart of forty five former school districts. By annexation of adjacent areas Community Unit School District Number 2 now covers approximately 159 square miles and extends into seven of the twelve townships of Williamson County and one township of Johnson County. The current population of the district is approximately twenty thousand. The district enrolls approximately four thousand students and maintains five elementary schools, one junior high school, and one high school.